Attitude and energy are both choices. Nobody can change these in a human being that is why when I pick a hydroponic store to support, I look at the people that the business attracts and decides to employ.
People choose to have a negative or positive attitude. They also choose the level of energy and where to focus it.
Therefore if attitude and energy are both choices then employee empowerment is a choice as well.
I've learned to identify these four types of employees that work at local businesses.
The compliant employees
They have a positive attitude and low energy. These people will do anything you ask them to do, but not much more. They are never late but won't put in any extra hours.
Their characteristics are as follow:
- They won't give customers any problems
- They are happy satisfied employees
- They do whatever is asked of them without questioning things
- They are responsible enough to point you too what you are looking for, but not necessarily accountable for contributing to the success of the grower
The RIP (Retired in Place) employees
These employees normally have a negative attitude and low energy. You struggle to get any information out of these people. They have quit working the second they clocked in. These people never open your mouth when you ask them for help just moan, groan, and point in the general direction of what you asked.
- They resist things very passively and covertly
- Moan, whine, and complain
The cynical employees
High energy, very present, but negative attitude; Although they have high energy it is focus on all the wrong things… industry politics… short cuts and self-glorification.
Their characteristics include:
- Very vocal about their likes and dislikes
- Willing to be committed and focused on the organization unfortunately they have somehow self-selected themselves out of the positive add to box
- He is one of those types of guys that you always think about inviting to your parties although after he comes you slightly wish he wasn't there
The Empowered employees
Positive attitude and high energy… also called on entrepreneurial type. This box has nothing to do with the position in the company. There's a story about the two cleaners who worked for NASA, when they were interviewed on what they do at NASA, the 1 said that he is a cleaner. The other 1 said that he is helping NASA get into space. Which 1 do you think cared more about the success of the completion of the mission?
The characteristics of this group are:
- Feel accountable for the results of the grower
- They will do whatever it takes to get the job done
- What to do what is right for the grower
- If you come in looking for information on a specific product this employee will speak from experience
Normally when you go to a store if you see extremely low prices you would normally find extremely low service. At these stores you might get a lower price although your learning curve in this industry will normally be longer.
If you go to a hydroponic store the charges fair market value those are the stores that you're normally going to find a higher quality level of service this is because those people know their value and are willing to teach you how to fish instead of giving you a fish. In the stores you might pay a few extra dollars although they will normally save you that in cost of mistakes that were avoided or larger increases in quality and yield because of better understanding and awareness of what you're doing.
It is not for me to tell you what store you should support, I suggest you take a second to think of the type of core values you have and then find a store in line with those same values.
Have a great grow
From the grow room of
Mark w. Boutwell II