How to Use Your Magnetic or Digital Ballast Effectively in Your Indoor Garden
HID – Magnetic Vs. Digital Ballast
From the desk of Mark W. Boutwell II – Grow Coach
Green Joint Venture
In this article we will explain the Inside secrets to different techniques you can use if you are using a Magnetic or digital Ballast.
Some of these Secret Techniques will:
- Increase Your yield
- Reduce you electricity bill
- Increase your Harvest turns per year which mean More money in your pocket
Over the year’s growers from inside and outside the U.S. have given me their trust and have granted me access to their indoor and outdoor gardens for Grow Coaching and consulting.
Through that I have been given a unique opportunity to be part of seeing, thinking, and creating solutions to different problems growers have been faced with.
After years of going back and forth on one specific issue of what is the overall best type of ballast to use, magnetic or Digital Ballast?
I have come to the conclusion that both types Magnetic and digital ballast have their purpose.
In this article I will explain the main differences between a Magnetic and digital ballast and give a few ideas of how we solved the problems that arise during my Grow Coaching experiences.
As you can see above there are differences between both types of ballast.
These differences are a big deal when you don’t prepare your Indoor Grow Room initially in your set up.
The #1 Most Important thing you can do while Growing Indoors is Control your environment.
Most growers never take the time to realize how their ballast can affect environment.
When initially installing your Magnetic Ballast I would recommend
1. Reinforcing Your location you plan to place the ballast because
b. Magnetic Ballast Vibrate A LOT and need to be secure for safety
2. Place the ballast outside of the Growing area. If you have a lot have ballast I would recommend build a dedicated room or an Enclosure box
3. If you are Veg’ing and Flowering in the same location I would place these ballast in an easy access location because they will need to be switch to a MH when Veg’ing* and switch back manually when flowering
When using a digital ballast
- The ballast are very light weight so the extra cost of reinforcing the area is unnecessary
- Depending on how many ballast you are using, deciding to place the ballast outside of the
- Growing area will always be ideal although it is less of a concern because of how cool they run compared to a Magnetic Ballast
- Both ballast can be run MH/HPS and 110v/220v, although only a digital ballast switches automatically
- A digital ballast is also Dimmable 50%,75%,100% and Over-drive (Video)
This function can be used for
- Reducing your heat in your Indoor Grow Room on hot days
- Reducing your PG&E bill when you are just veg’ing* vs flowering
- Reduce light intensity when plant are under stress (Bud or Mold Issues)
These are just a few things we have done to help solve issues growers like you have every day.
We Hope this article gives you a solid game-plan to start your Gardening Experience. Remember, Our Sole Purpose, is to Help You Grow!
Our Phone Consultations is Free of Any Cost or Obligation.
Call Us (855-420-HYDRO (4937) and Start your Indoor Gardening Experience.
*Green joint Ventures Terms and Meaning
Veg’ing – when your plants are in a vegetative state not in the flowering state
Have a Great Grow!
Mark W. Boutwell II – Grow Coach
Green Joint Ventures
61 Tarp Circle
Salinas, CA 93901